Sunday, September 19, 2010

Stunted melons and the first pumpkin

I really wandered around the yard for the first time in a few days this morning. Wedding planning is a hectic and stressful albeit exciting adventure. We are at t minus two weeks and counting! I'll post more on that later.
Yesterday evening my single stunted ambrosia cantaloupe fell off the vine in a gentle pouf of sweet musky air. It was like someone packed the full flavor of a good melon into a 3 1/2 inch little ball of goodness.
I had terrible luck with melons this year, only harvesting two mini watermelons previous to this guy. Ah well. At least the one cantaloupe I got was delicious! I shared it with Jeremy and Basil (our collie mix who looooves squash and cucurbits).


In addition to harvesting our melon I picked the first of several pumpkins to come today. It was choking a raspberry bush so I decided to intervene.


It's the perfect candidate for jackolanternism. :)
These two little harbingers of fall have made me both happy and sad. Fall is my favorite time, but winter is tough to get through. I'm hoping to get my fencing set up this fall so I can possibly get sheep over the winter and have something to do. Heh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment