Saturday, November 26, 2011

Busy busy like a bee

I have recently found myself super motivated to do anything but sit at the computer. I've come out of a funk that I hadn't even realized I was in, and I'm planning gardens, cutting firewood, preserving seasonal food, baking like mad and pretty much running around like a crazy person.

It's nice to be a crazy person again.


?

Anyway, this morning I found myself inspired to make cranberry syrup so that I can freeze it and use it to flavor various things (spritzer, wine, sugar, bread, cookies? Oooh the possibilities are endless!)

Have you ever made cranberry syrup? It's super easy!

Simply take cranberries and bring them to a slow boil in just enough water to cover them. In this case I used 13oz of local cranberries (isn't Michigan cool? We can grow everything from cranberries to kiwis!) and 3 cups of water, with a sprinkling of sugar and a pinch of meyer lemon zest. I'll boil it until it looks right and then I'll strain it through cheese cloth, let it cool and package it up for freezing. I might freeze it in ice cube trays! Oo!


The best part of all is listening to it boil as the cranberries Pop Pop Pop!

It's very satisfying.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you all fired up and busy! Your cranberry sauce sounds like a great idea! Last night I served roast duck with an orange sauce, but mmm, cranberry sauce sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I'm so on it.

    ReplyDelete