Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fashion-Envy: 1920's Working Class

Lately I've been thinking about choosing a dress to recreate using modern fabrics. This one below is one of my current favorites. I found it on Etsy, and while I'd love to buy it, I'd love even more if I could own a sturdy, wearable reproduction of it. It's a mid-20's dress that would've been worn by a working class woman. Perhaps a factory worker? 

It's pin-tucked wool with a linen insert, cuffs and collar. I can't help but want to try it out, especially with the drawn-thread work in the linen. My main concern is that it would look kind of funky on my petite-yet-busty figure.

What do you think of it? I'd love to get readers' opinions on it before I start searching for fabric.

2 comments:

  1. You could try making a muslin of it to see how it'd fit on your figure - before investing in fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely will! I just started making muslin toiles two projects ago and I'll never go back! The only thing I'm faced with is that it's a wool dress so I wouldn't be able to mimic the drape without investing in something more expensive than I'd like to.

      Delete