Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dreaming of Summer Harvests

Last night I had a fantastic dream:

Jeremy and I had just made some new friends and we were going to their house for the first time. When we got there, I noticed they had a fantastic pear tree in their yard and it was covered in itty bitty ripe pears. I asked them about the tree and they said it was a rare variety that begins to ripen early in July. They said they'd always wanted to do something with the pears but had never really known what to try. Naturally I suggested picking them and canning them in light syrup!


The next part of my dream was an amazing 80's style montage of us canning sliced and whole pears to Tears for Fears' "Head Over Heels". Their kitchen was fantastically retro and we were wearing aprons. The very end of the dream (just before Gertrude woke me) I remember asking them to let me take grafts from their tree and then having to explain a graft to them. Explaining grafting to a "new friend" in a dream is pretty difficult, so I'm glad I got out of that one when I did!


Anyway, this was my first canning dream, and I can't imagine I'll have a lot of them. Still, I find myself daily thinking about all of the pears we'll have late this summer. Seckle pears are by far my favorite and it may seem silly but I sit here amidst harvests of snap peas, black raspberries, red raspberries and more, having just woken from a dream of pears, and all I can do is day dream about them now that I'm awake!


Is there anything you look forward to harvesting so much that it invades your dreams?

1 comment:

  1. here is my canning post. i recently cut the tree down!:

    http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2009/07/i-can-can.html

    hope you enjoy it more!

    ReplyDelete