Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tanglewood Bakery: First Market Recap

Jeremy and I set up the Bakery booth at MIX Marketplace in Ypsilanti, Michigan yesterday. I was running late (when am I not?) but we managed to get there and get set up before anybody approached the table so that was nice. 

The overall aesthetic of the table was a huge success. We got some fabulous compliments, many people remarking on how they loved the set up and that they'd never seen such beautiful baked goods. I can't tell you how nice it was to hear that, especially after so much last-minute work!

We had TONS of samples for people, and we even had two people stop by, obviously disinterested, shove a sample in their mouths and after walking a few steps, stop in their tracks, spin on their heels and rush back to buy something... A look of desperate sweet-tooth-dom on their faces. I can't tell you how good that made me feel. I've had that moment at a market, and I love that I can give it to others. Nomnomnom. 


The bundt cakes didn't sell much, but we didn't have any samples out and I'm confident they would've sold more if they'd either been available to sample or topped with a more visible frosting (people love frosting... I learned that one quick).


The biggest seller was definitely whoopie pies. I'm a little bummed I didn't get my adorable "Gobby Hand Cake" labels on them, but they sold well all the same. 


Another item that received very high praise was the dark chocolate shortbread with pink peppercorn and fleur de sel. Chocolate lovers definitely enjoyed this one, and I got tons of compliments on the presentation. One particularly interesting individual told me that they tasted like pizza, fruit cake and Dessert, and went on to say Dessert differed from the usual usage of the word because he didn't just mean dessert, like sweets. He meant Dessert in the sense that it comes after a very good meal and intermingles with the flavors from that meal to create a perfect finish. It was both the most unique and inspiring compliment I received all day! He had some really great things to say about all of the samples, and really taught me a thing or two about my own prejudices against first impressions... I kinda hope he comes back next time!


One thing that people were drawn to more than I expected were the fig caramel and chocolate tarts. I really just made these for myself since I'm a huge fan of figs, but they were received well and with open arms and mouths... :)

So... I can't begin to explain how exhausted I am right now. I'll be at the MIX marketplace again on the 28th. For now, in the slow season, I'll stick to every other week so I can continue to build new recipes on the off weeks. Yesterday morning I was convinced that I'd be burned out and never want to bake again, and this morning I woke up inspired to balance new recipes and learn new techniques, ASAP!

Operation Market Debut: Success!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats, Em, on your success (and to Jeremy to the extent that he assisted)! Bob Reveley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really thrilled for you! What a way to get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks pretty amazing to me!!!! Aren't your prices a bit on the low side? It seems to me that baked goods go for a bit more at the Holland Farmer's Market.... which I would suspect is a lot less upscale than the Ypsi one.... anyway, keep up the good work! It's looks excellent and I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! So excited for you! I hope you're a huge success. You're in my calendar for a weekend trip this summer! I want one of those moon pies!

    It's fate! Capcha was "imcomin"

    ReplyDelete
  5. When is the next Mix Marketplace? I will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice compliment on the chocolate shortbread! I love buying homemade desserts at markets and I"m impressed that you set up a table. Sounds like you're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete