Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow Day

Well, I had today off because of the intense cold and winds. I may very well have tomorrow off as well for the same reason, and Wednesday I will have off because my maternal grandmother has passed and we are getting together for some family time Wednesday night before the Thursday morning funeral. It's amazing how quickly a week's planning can change.

I spent this morning keeping busy. I cleaned quite a bit and reorganized some things. I brought up the rest of the last of our split wood and even considered splitting some more for about three seconds before a gust of wind nearly spilled me and my logs across the snow.

The horses stayed in today, and the ducks and sheep of their own accord. Every once in a while if there is a drop in the wind, I'll peer out to see a lone sheep or duck sneaking out of their havens to steal a bit of food. They have food inside as well, but at least in the case of the sheep there is better food (alfalfa) outside than there is inside (grass hay).

I'm a little bummed that I haven't received many seed catalogues yet. In fact, I've only received one! Johnny's Selected Seeds is a great company, but as I'm trying to go almost all heirloom this coming year, it's not terribly helpful. I'm desperately waiting for Baker Creek Seeds, Seedsaver's Exchange, Comstock-Ferre and Seeds of Change. I wish that Oikos Tree Crops had a catalogue, but they are very small and also very eco conscious so it doesn't surprise me that they don't.

0 comments:

Post a Comment