Friday, March 25, 2011

Improv Recipe: Curry Crackers

I've blogged over at Not Dabbling in Normal this morning and now it's time for the home blog. I wanted them to be related today :)

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a great little recipe for crackers from my new favorite food blog, Eat Make Read. With the Real Food Challenge going on over at Not Dabbling, I've been hard pressed to find snack foods that I can enjoy on all levels. Sure there are the "real food" potato chips made simply with potatoes, olive oil and sea salt, but they're still just starches and oils when it comes down to it. I wanted something actually good for me and it seemed like a lot of other bloggers were finding success in crackers.

The recipe on Eat Make Read is here and is a great starting place for a base cracker. I decided I wanted something different though. My first batch followed the recipe only loosely. I substituted maple syrup for the honey, used nonhomogenized whole milk and tossed in a large handful of flax seeds. Success!

Okay, success, but not exactly exciting.

I perused the shelves of spices and considered all sorts of things... then I spotted it. A little glass jar filled with the curry spiced I got from The Seasoned Home in Holland, MI back in January. I wonder if I could make a curry cracker!

I made another batch of the base cracker dough and sprinkled a tablespoon of curry into the mix. I then added a bit more maple and some paprika for fun and rolled the whole thing out, then sprinkling with more paprika. (At this point, I really wished I had poppy seeds; it would've added a great texture variation.)

Popped them in the oven and Ta Da! Curry Crackers!

My post over at NDiN today is about improvisation in the kitchen and I encourage you to read it. It's amazing what a little internet research can do for those straggler ingredients lying around the kitchen!

My next batch of Curry Crackers I am going to try to add puree zante raisins to the milk before adding it to the dough. I love the taste of zante raisin and curry!

--
Have you tried making your own snack food before? Did you add your own variations to the recipe?

You can find me blogging at Not Dabbling in Normal on Fridays as well as throughout the week for collaborative posts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment